He is an Income Partner at Correa-Acevedo & Abesada, P.S.C.
Admitted to practice in 2008. Sergio Criado Mangual is a income partner of the firm with experience in general and complex litigation, including lenders liability and banking, insurance and personal injury defense.
Mr. Criado’s academic background includes undergraduate and graduate studies at the University of Michigan, as well as the Inter American University School of Law. He completed his undergraduate studies Summa Cum Laude and was bestowed the following distinctions and awards: All-USA Academic Team, Nominee; All-Michigan Academic Team, First Team Member; USSA’s All-American Scholar Award; National Dean’s List Award; Most Outstanding Student in Sociology and Criminology Award; Recognition of Excellence Scholarship; and graduated in the top 1% of his class.
Mr. Sergio Criado Mangual was inducted into the National Scholars Honor Society, Golden Key International Honour Society, and the Phi Theta Kappa International Honor Society. He graduated Magna Cum Laude from Law School, was a member of the Law Review, published a Law Review article, received the award for the most outstanding student in Public Law, and earned a judicial recommendation for outstanding appellate brief drafting and oral argument.
Practice Areas and Experience:
Mr. Criado has extensive civil and commercial litigation experience in the following areas: Constitutional Law, Insurance Law, Banking Law, Torts, Corporate Law, Contract Law, Restructuring and Bankruptcy Law (including participation in the historic PROMESA cases), Property Law, Civil Rights Law, Complex Litigation, Commercial Claims, Financial Lines Claims, Admiralty and Maritime Law, and Legal Malpractice defense (among others), as well as arbitral proceedings held before the International Centre for Dispute Resolution.
He also has a comprehensive appellate practice in State and Federal Courts, that includes presenting successful oral argument before U.S. Supreme Court’s Justice David Souter (sitting in special designation).
Mr. Criado worked at Ellman & Ellman Law Offices, P.C. with U.S. Bankruptcy Trustee Douglas S. Ellman, Esq.
Mr. Criado is admitted to practice law in the Supreme Court of the United States; the Supreme Court of Puerto Rico; the Federal Court of Appeals for the First Circuit; the Federal Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit; the Federal District Court for the District of Puerto Rico; the United States District Court for the Northern District of Illinois; and the United States Bankruptcy Appellate Panel for the First Circuit.
Representative Cases of Sergio Criado Mangual:
- Sara Cortes v. Wesleyan Academy, 192 D.P.R. 947 (2015) (tort claim dismissed due to separation of Church and State and Freedom of Religion’s establishment clause)
- Damaris Molina v. Rivera Torres, 178 D.P.R. 506 (2010)
- González Oyarzún v. Caribbean City Builders, 798 F.3d 26 (1st Cir. 2015) (inapplicability of VII Amendment’s Jury Trial provision to Commonwealth of Puerto Rico’s proceedings)
- FirstBank Puerto Rico v. La Vida Merger Sub., Inc., 638 F.3d 37 (1st Cir. 2011)
- Qualtex Corp v. ATM Group Corp., 2014 U.S. Dist. Lexis 95109 (N.D. Illinois 2014)
- Cedeño Nieves v. Aerostar Airport Holdings, 251 F.Supp 3d 360 (D.PR 2017)
- Cruz Oquendo v. FDIC, 2019 U.S.Dist.Lexis 21160 (D.PR 2019)
- Banco Popular de Puerto Rico v. Rosado Ramírez, 2017 U.S. Dist. Lexis 57100 (D.PR 2017)
- Rivera Alvarado v. FDIC, 2017 WL 3738467 (D.PR 2017)
- Hernández Prado v. R & B Power, Inc., 2017 U.S. Dist.Lexus 190901 (D.PR 2017)
- Collazo Class v. FDIC, 2017 U.S. Dist. Lexis 21507 (D.PR 2017)
- González Oyarzún v. Caribbean City Builders, 27 F.Supp.3d 265 (D.PR 2014)
- Home Orthopedics v. Rodríguez, 2012 U.S. Dist. Lexis 191241 (D.PR 2012)
- Home Orthopedics v. Rodríguez, 2012 U.S. Dist. Lexis. 191238 (D.PR 2012)
- Bou v. Metropolitan Life Insurance Company, 2010 WL 11565546 (D.PR 2010)
- In re Luar Cleaners, 2016 Bankr. Lexis 2434 (Bankr. P.R. 2016)
- In re Raúl Palacios Vélez, 2016 Bankr. Lexis 2436 (Bankr. P.R. 2016)
- Wilson v. Heredia, 2016 Bankr. Lexis 589 (Bankr.P.R., 2016)
- In re Costa Bonita Beach Resort, Inc., 2010 Bankr. Lexis 859 (Bankr. P.R. 2010).