Head of the firm's Litigation Practice Group
Roberto Abesada - Agüet is a licensed attorney and shareholder at Correa-Acevedo & Abesada Law Offices, P.S.C. Mr. Abesada is the head of the firm’s Litigation Practice Group. Since 2006, he has been an adjunct professor at the Inter American University, School of Law where he has taught American Common Law Torts, Civil Law Torts, Federal Jurisdiction, and Federal Appeals.
In 1996, Mr. Roberto Abesada graduated magna cum laude from the University of Puerto Rico, Mayaguez Campus with a major in business. He pursued a Juris Doctor degree from the Inter American University of Puerto Rico, School of Law.
While in school, Mr. Abesada was a Law Review editor and was a professor’s assistant to various professors, such as Raúl Serrano Geyls, Carlos I. Gorrín Peralta and Ennio Colón García. In 1999, he graduated cum laude and was admitted to the Puerto Rico bar in 2000.
Practice Areas and Experience:
Since 2000 Mr. Abesada has been an active trial attorney, with experience in a wide range of general civil and commercial litigation matters in federal, bankruptcy and state courts.
He is admitted to practice in the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico, Texas, Washington D.C., the U.S. District Court for the District of Puerto Rico and the U.S. Court of Appeals for the First Circuit.
Further, Mr. Abesada has been a guest speaker, on several occasions, in seminars sponsored by the Puerto Rico Bar Association and the Inter American University, School of Law, specifically, in the subjects of Civil Procedure, Legal Research and Writing and Torts.
Mr. Abesada is an active member of the Federal Bar Association. Since 2007, he has been serving on the Puerto Rico Chapter’s Board of Directors. He is also an active member of the Puerto Rico Bar Association.
From 2008 to 2010 he served in the State Bar’s Committee to Evaluate Judicial Appointments and in 2010 in the State Bar’s Committee to Review the Puerto Rico Rules of Civil Procedure.
- PR Eco Park v. Municipio de Yauco, 202 D.P.R. 525 (2019).
- Blas Toledo v. Hospital Nuestra Señora de la Guadalupe, 167 D.P.R. 439 (2006)
- Souffront Cordero AAA, 164 D.P.R. 663 (2005)
- R & J Motors, Inc. v. DACO, 164 D.P.R. 647 (2005)
- In re Reyes Colón, 922 F.3d 13 (1st Cir. 2019)
- Municipality of San Juan v. COFECC, 415 F.3d 145 (1st Cir. 2005)
- Jewelers Mut. Ins. Co. v. Barquet, Inc., 410 F.3d 2 (1st Cir. 2005)
- Hull v. Municipality of San Juan, 356 F.3d 98 (1st Cir. 2005)
- Banco Popular de PR v. Ramírez, 280 F. Supp. 3d 316 (D. Puerto Rico 2017)
- WM Capital Partners 53 LLC v. San Juan Properties, 270 F. Supp.3d 545 (D. Puerto Rico 2017)
- Cedeño v. Aerostar Airport Holdings, LLC, 251 F. Supp. 3d 360 (D. Puerto Rico 2017)
- Scotiabank v. Sánchez Castro, 227 F. Supp. 3d 188 (D. Puerto Rico 2017)
- Concepción Navedo v. Putnam LAC Holding LLC, 212 F. Supp. 3d 297 (D. Puerto Rico 2015)
- Amvest Corp. v. Amy, 778 F.Supp. 2d 187 (D. Puerto Rico 2011)
- Hogar Crea Inc. v. Hogar Crea International, 708 F.Supp.2d 158 (D. Puerto Rico 2009)
- DIPR Mfg v. Perry Ellis, 472 F.Supp.2d 151 (D. Puerto Rico 2007)
- Behavioral Healthcare Partners v. González Rivera, 392 F.Supp.2d 191 (D. Puerto Rico 2005)
- Freightliner LLC v. P.R. Truck Sales, 399 F.Supp.2d 57 (D. Puerto Rico 2005)
- Astoria Jewelry v. N. Barquet, Inc., 291 F.Supp.2d 16 (D. Puerto Rico 2003)
- Arias v. American Airlines, 163 F.Supp.2d 111 (D. Puerto Rico 2001)
- Arias-Rosado v. Tirado, 111 F.Supp.2d 96 (D. Puerto Rico 2000)